Friday 25 May 2012

MAC Hey, Sailor! First Impressions

Yesterday was the in-store launch of the new MAC summer line, "Hey, Sailor!".  I'd checked out the collection online a week ago when it became available, but decided to wait to test out some of the shades before buying as they seemed a bit tricky to wear.  And I was glad I did.  Overall, I felt the collection had some really great pieces and the colours were very on-trend - a lot of vibrant orange and a gorgeous emerald green.  I won't go through all the pieces, but here's a shot of the entire collection.





When I initially saw the online shots of the products, I was super excited for a few of them.  There are 5 eyeshadow shades in the collection, and of the 5, there were 2 that I immediately loved - the bright green and navy shades.

From Left: Crystal Avalanche, Barefoot, Jaunty, Feeling Fresh, Nautical Navy

I ended up purchasing Jaunty - a shimmery, yellow-taupe - and Nautical Navy - a shimmery navy.  I was really tempted to get Feeling Fresh as well, but I wasn't sure where I'd ever be able to wear that bright of a colour.

I also tried out the two darker lipsticks, Sail La Vie - a bright orange - and Red Racer - a bright midtoned red.  I fell in love instantly with the red colour.  It's a true, intense red that is very classic and wearable.  The orange shade was beautiful too, and very on-trend for summer, but it was too warm for my skin tone, especially with the orange toned lipglass over top (I believe it was called Rivera Life).

The last thing I bought was the Suntints SPF20 Liquid Lip Balm in Au Rose.  I bought this without trying it on because I loved the slight peachy tint and the fact that it has SPF20.  After trying it when I got home, I have to say that it's a pretty sticky lipgloss with very little colour payoff.  In fact it's pretty much sheer, although it has a nice level of shine.  It's also got a bit of a strange taste, so if that bothers you, I wouldn't suggest it.  I'm sure I'll continue to wear this one, though, as I don't have any other lipglosses with SPF.




From Left: Jaunty eyeshadow, Nautical Navy eyeshadow, Red Racer lipstick, Au Rose Suntints


From Left: Jaunty eyeshadow, Nautical Navy eyeshadow, Red Racer lipstick, Au Rose Suntints

Unfortunately, the eyeshadows don't appear very pigmented in the swatches, but the blue is actually very lovely.  I'm seriously considering going back to get the green colour based on how much I like the navy.

I will point out one product that I had been really excited for, but was actually disappointing in person.  The highlight powder looked amazing online.  It's a combination of pink, peach and purple with white base in the photo, and based on the fact that it's marketed as a highlight, I expected it to have some shimmer to it.  When I tried it in person, however, it was quite chalky and actually appeared more like a heavy, matte blush.  Needless to say, I didn't end up purchasing this one.


Highlight Powder in Crew

So those are my first round of purchases from this line, and overall I'm very pleased!  Have you purchased any of the new MAC line?  Let me know what your favourites are!

No comments:

Post a Comment