Wednesday 27 June 2012

My Cottage Makeup Routine

Well, I'm now four days into my official vacation, and as of tomorrow morning, I'm off to the cottage for the remainder of my days off.  So, as I'm currently re-packing and re-organizing my makeup bag, I thought I'd give you all a quick run-down of what products make the cut for being shipped off to the cottage, and why they rate getting hauled up there.

1. Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream with SPF 35 (Fair)

This is a must-have product for me for many reasons.  First, it acts as a moisturizer, primer and "foundation" all in one.  Second, it gives surprisingly good coverage for a BB cream.  And third, it has SPF 35, which means I don't have to bring a second sunscreen for my face.  The Smashbox BB Cream has a pretty thick consistency, but it blends quite well once you get it on the skin.  It also is the closest match to my skin tone of probably any face makeup product I currently own.  Only downside - it's kind of expensive at $50/1oz.  I, personally, think it's worth it though.  It's not something I use everyday, but it's perfect for things like the cottage, or to blend in with my heavier foundations for a lighter coverage.



Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream with SPF 35 in Fair, $50/1oz


2. NARS Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo in Orgasm/Laguna

I use Laguna bronzer everday as a contour shade, so I knew this product absolutely had to come with me to the cottage.  The Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo was actually the first NARS product I ever purchased and it was a great investment.  The Orgasm blush is gorgeous and is a perfect everyday shade for a no-makeup makup look.  Plus the bronzer is great for darkening up my complexion a bit once I start getting a tan.  And having both products together makes for a nice, easy-to-pack compact for my minimized makeup bag.

NARS Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo in Orgasm/Laguna, $50/0.35oz

3. Bourjois Volumizer mascara

This is the mascara I wear most days, and I really like that you can build it up for a more dramatic effect.  The packaging is pretty cool - it has one wand, but you can open it a different places to dispense more or less product, depending on what look you're going for.  I use the light coverage portion to separate my upper lashes, and to define my lower lashes.  Then I use the heavier application to go over the top lashes for added volume.  Great for the cottage, where mascara is pretty much all I wear on my eyes.

Bourjois Volumizer mascara, $20

4. Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment with SPF 20

I put this stuff on at every opportunity because why mess with what works!  Blistex has been around for pretty much forever and I have yet to find anything better for a basic lip balm.  And this one has SPF 20, so it is on my lips at all times while I'm outside.  Plus, it's dirt cheap and one pot will last forever.  Everyone should have one of these floating around!


Blistex Daily Conditioning Treatment, sorry, not sure about the price :(

And that is all I plan on taking to the cottage!  Well, aside from an oil-free high-SPF sunscreen.  Now I just have to remember to actually put it on...

18 comments:

  1. What! You bring make up to the cottage?! Crazy girl. (It's Laura!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You get a thank you limerick :)

      There once was a man named Fifty.
      His Red Room of Pain was quite nifty.
      He ruined all women
      For non-fictional men
      And now we think everything's kinky.

      Say hi to Ben! Haha

      Delete
  2. I agree with Laura, but I also love you because you're a princess ;)
    xo Courtney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's your poem! It's a haiku :)

      Let's move to Ireland
      To marry hot Irish guys.
      Refrigerator.

      I think I missed my calling in life...

      Delete
  3. Woo! Comments! I don't even care if you guys think I'm ridiculous, I'm just ecstatic that someone commented! So as a thank you, I wrote you poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is basically the Thrashist shit I have ever read about Sunscreen and shit. Know I totaly know how to look fabulous next time I go to the cottage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Carter. My blog has just gotten to a whole new level of thrash. So here's your poem. I don't know what kind it is, but it rhymes!

      Oh Carter, you puked off my balcony,
      Yet I still invited you over.
      Mainly cause you bought me a coffee,
      And McDonald's for our weekend sleepovers.

      NAILED IT!

      Delete
  5. Yay!! I can comment! And now I get a poem. In all fairness, though, I TRIED commenting yesterday, before I knew about the poems as R+ for blog commenting behavior. :) that mascara looks cool though... And affordable for my Walmart make-up budget... Where could I get it??!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I figured it was you, Sarah. And you can get the mascara at Shoppers, though usually only at the bigger ones that have the higher end makeup section.

      You are going to get...an acrostic poem!

      S-pandex fluorescent clothing
      A-lthough useful for parties
      R-eally does not look good on Facebook
      A-nd the thought of those pictures
      H-aunts my dreams...

      Delete
  6. And I'm not super bright right now. At 22:52, that was me. Sarah. Haha. Sleep tiiiiime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who goes to sleep at 10:52? That's not very Thrash.

      Delete
  7. There once was a girl named Lauren,
    Who came from a land that was foreign...

    Nope, wait, that's been done. New one:


    Blogging requires too much thinking.
    To Facebook and Twitter, you're linking.
    Listen to Annie,
    With intelligence uncanny,
    You should spend more of your time drinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K first of all, I love your user name. Second of all, why the hell am I writing poems when I should just be hiring you to write them for me?! Now I have to figure out what kind of poem to write for you. I'm thinking, a sonnet. Except I just googled it, and it's way too freaking long. So instead, I shall reply to you in the form of an ode.

      An Ode to Us

      I often wonder why we don't think
      Of more brilliant things when we drink!
      I think that we're often quity witty
      And we're occasionally known to be pretty.
      I think we should write down each thought
      So in the morning, we won't find we'd forgot
      All the hilarious things that we shape
      While drinking the juice of a grape.
      Why wouldn't everyone else want to know
      From where our streams of brilliance flow?
      Then again, I think we might find
      We're not quite as funny without wine...

      Delete
    2. Haha, and that is why I love you.

      But seriously, I think we're hilarious all the time. And clearly, very talented poets. Next poem shall be entitled, The Ballad of Smoked Herring, following by Ode to a Cat/Horse on a Chair... followed by THE FILMS OF KEANU REEVES! (OMG, I might have to start that one first).

      Delete
  8. Haha... Love it. They haunt me too. Horrible horrible pictures.

    And I'm not actually GOING to bed at 10:52, thrashaholic. Even though I have to be up at 6:00, I'll be up past midnight. Maybe 1ish. Is 5 hrs of sleep a night more thrash?? Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya that's pretty Thrash I suppose, aside from having to wake-up at 6 am. I normally don't have school till ~noon.

      Delete
  9. I got so into the poetry that I forgot was the blog was about!
    Read Mary Doria Russell's THREAD OF GRACE
    and Mary Oliver's NEW AND SELECTED POEMS, Volume One

    ReplyDelete